Let’s say, as an exercise, that I want to design a new sport. I would start with a list of requirements:
- It should be possible to practise it indoors (so I can play regardless of the weather). Playing outdoors should be possible but not mandatory.
- It should be an individual sport, so a team is not expecting me on a certain date. If desired, it could be played with a partner.
- The game should require some thinking and strategy, not only physical effort.
- The equipment should be easy to carry (in a backpack for example).
- The equipment should be affordable.
- Everyone should be able to play it, no matter what age, physical conditions, etc.
- It should be fun to play, challenging, etc.
Should I think hard to design a game like this? Or just keep playing table tennis? I think that I’ll keep playing, it meets all the requirements. The only potential problem is that it always requires a partner (yes, a robot is also a partner) but it’s part of the fun!